See The D

Thursday, July 07, 2005

College, Dunkin Donuts, and cold butter.

What a crappy morning. This morning has sucked, huge. I wake up early to go to the community college not too far away in order to sign up for a summer class in Creative Writing. I'm very excited to get around other "writers" and share ideas while being shared to as well. I go to sign up, and she asks if I did the pre-requisite. I asked her what it was for this particular Creative Writing class, and she said Comp 1. I told her that I didn't have to take any english classes at Gordon (the first college I went to) because my AP credit from highschool qualified. She said it's not good enough. So, getting annoyed, I asked if I could just audit the class. I told her I'll pay for it, I don't want any credit, I just want to write. She said, without the pre-requisite you can't get in. So I asked one last time, is there any way I can take this class? She said, no. So I gave her my best "I'm really pissed at you" look and stormed out. I was pissed too. I've taken classes at other community colleges and it's never, ever been a problem. I understand that with many classes, a pre-requisite is necessary to make sure you're up to speed, and is needed in many cases. However, if I'm auditing the course for NO credit, what difference does it make, especially a creative writing course, this isn't advanced physics. I'm still pissed and will continue to be for a while. This is incredibley frustrating.
On a good note, I went to Dunkin Donuts afterwards because I had plenty of time after the bumbling college wouldn't let me take a freakin class. (I'm seething) I ordered a blueberry iced coffee (tasty as hell) and a plain bagel, buttered. I get the blueberry iced coffee. I get the bagel. I get 3 small packets of butter that have been sitting in the refrigerator for 3 years and are now ROCK HARD. The bagel isn't even hot, it's maybe luke warm. Where did that phrase come from, luke warm? I need to find this out. Anyway, I walked to the front, cause I was already in a pissed mood from that idiotic buffoon at the college, and I asked the Dunkin lady if they had any butter that wasn't ice cold and unspreadable. She answered, in her thick spanish accent, no. It's tough to have a spanish accent on a two lettered word, but she did it. (applause) So I walked back to my seat, took the butter rock out and tried to spread it around on the bagel.

In bigger vision, I wouldn't complain about these annoyances and frustrations. (I'm still really mad about that college, I may have to write a letter. By the way, isn't it sad when you're only threat is "I'm going to write a letter"?) There were huge explosions in London today and that's really saddening. I've been to London, very nice place. There were celebrating the Olympics and then got bombed the next day, it really drops my heart. I wish we weren't so timid in our strategy towards this war in the middle east. We're holding back and playing by these rules that handcuff us because of world and popular opinion about being nice. Just because we have all these things at our disposal, we shouldn't use them because it's not fair. They fight dirty, and you know what, so should we . . . especially if they give us cold butter.

2 Comments:

  • Since you seem to think it appropriate, and perhaps even necessary to correct at least one person's grammar, insulting her intelligence and questioning her career, may I point out that on your side notes - I believe you meant to say "'makes' it sound," rather than "'maskes' it sound." I could be wrong.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 AM  

  • Yikes.

    By Blogger The D, at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home