See The D

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Christians and intolerance

So I received an e-mail from a "fellow" christian. She wrote me this e-mail after she saw a picture of me in a halloween costume. (My costume was a huge novelty bag of dunkin donuts coffee that I cut holes in and put on) Her e-mail was as such, verbatim:

"so how can you call you self a believer in Christ, then celebrate a satanic holiday, all hollows eve? if i miss interpreted sorrow, just don't stray away from the truth bro,
see yah"

I won't even get into how poor her english is, that would take all night. This is what i call intolerance, ignorance, and pomposity. I'm not going to write my reaction just yet, I will simply cut and paste exactly what I wrote back to our new friend.

"Just because you wear a costume and get together with people doesn't mean you believe or celebrate something satanic. Do you put decorations on your christmas tree? That is a pagan ritual. So is the easter bunny which i'm sure at one point you were introduced to. Pagan rituals and customs have flooded almost every major holiday. Just because you celebrate them, doesn't mean you support them.
Please, instead of assuming something based on a picture, just ask next time instead, it sounds so much nicer."

To which she responded:

"actually i dont celebrate christmas nor do i have a christmas tree, i rely on God's word, i draw nigh to Christ Jesus and follow his commandments. dude im not hear to to start wit you just strengthen your faith."

Draw nigh, very nice, makes you sound smart, especially when you can't spell here right. So this is what frustrates me about certain christians, among a few other glaring things. Her intolerance is going to push away a lot of people, especially those that aren't christians. Her assumptions about me and why I was wearing a halloween costume, and assuming that my faith needed strengthening was insulting. Apparantly she is much holier than I, why else would she have helped me by sending this e-mail. (This is where my friend sarcasm officially takes over.) I just don't understand this mindset, and if you do, write me a comment and explain it to me. Does anyone else see issues with this exchange? I'm just interested to get feedback on this and share frustration with this christian and her intolerance.
** Let me also say that I am not bashing her beliefs and the fact that she chooses not to celebrate halloween or christmas, that's her prerogative. My criticizing her intolerance and ignorance would be hypocritical if I did the same of her beliefs and choices. I didn't bash her beliefs in my e-mails to her, I pointed out that she knew nothing about me and assumed too much based on a picture, and then eventually told her to stop talking to me and let's just agree to disagree like adults. I just wanted to make that point. **

"Be who you would be, then do what you must do."

1 Comments:

  • Thank God she didn't see your little elf costume (especially with those unholy, blasphemous tights)...you would have been condemned straight to hell :)

    - H

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home