See The D

Monday, June 04, 2007

Where Is Religion? Part 3 (Finally)

Yes, I know, it's been like a week since the promised part 3 was supposed to appear. My 2 reasons for the dereliction of duty are thus:

1. My job

2. This final post which I believe is the most important reason why religion has lost it's perch of importance in today's society, indicts me personally in my current life and has prompted a lot of soul searching and question asking, not to mention that it's been tough to write.

Nonetheless, my excuse making is done, and the topic waits for no one anymore. As I mentioned, I think that this reason overshadows the previous two by large amounts. I included the other two because I think they play a vital role in this discussion, but added together, do not measure up to the impact of this one. I will state however, that I am speaking in terms of Protestant religions, and specifically Christianity, of which I am a member.

For any who know me relatively well, they may have heard a certain quote which I refer to all the time. It is my favorite quote, not to mention my own.

"Words are mere sound until backed up by real action."

To me, and I'm sure to many of you, someone's 'word' just doesn't hold as much water as it used to. Broken promises are as common as three leaf clovers nowadays. This was the inspiration behind that quote when I first thought of it, but in light of the topic I write about, it takes on a new meaning. People go to church week after week, special services/masses, pray while they are there and are seemingly devout in their attendance and behavior in that building. What about after they leave? Day after day, whether in person, through stories someone has told us, or from the media, we see that the religious people in our society do not act much differently than anyone else. I know that no one is perfect and above sinning, and I know that there are very good people in the world who do not profess any relationship with God. This is where I speak mainly about Christianity.

Are we simply Christians at church? If that's the case, then is God in the building or in you? So often, myself included, we go to church, get our weekly pep talk, see our church friends, sing some songs, bow our heads to pray, have the occasional cracker and grape juice, and that's it. We have relegated God's residence to a building made of wood and stone. The church has become out spiritual mechanic, changing out our sin-filled oil and giving us a little tuneup every so often. What's supposed to separate believers from non believers is the presence of God in their life, which should reveal itself through our actions and our decisions we make on a daily basis.

I remember discussing spiritual topics on a pretty regular basis with my now former roommate Matt. I look up to Matt as a Christian and often envy his knowledge and relationship with God, but consider it a privilege to have him as a close friend. I remember one conversation in which I was pondering salvation and whether it can be taken away from you or not. My argument was what if someone got saved, but later down the road, started killing people and doing horrible things. (To anyone who has actually studied or read the Bible, salvation is not won through deeds, just wanted to clarify that) Matt's wise response was something along the lines of this:

"If someone is truly saved, then they wouldn't do those kind of things if God was really in them."

It's a very general and broad answer to a difficult and complex question that can't definitively be answered, but it brings an interesting point. Again, no one is above sin, I've already conceded that. But there is a difference between repeated sin and just a one/two time deal. The presence of God in our life should be the difference maker here. Yeah we sin, but that difference maker will often be why you don't continue to commit the same sin, or commit a sin that you know is wrong but willfully do it anyway. This is one of the big things that should show itself in the life of a Christian, but so often does not. Many of our moral beacons have dimmed to the point of near irrelevance, leaving our Christian words, prayers and proclamations hollow because of our actions that do not back them up. Words are mere sound, and your professed faith is too, until backed up by real action. I myself, admittedly, have fallen woefully short in not only this, but the next part too.

Passion. Oh believe me, I know we humans do not lack it, but what do we reserve it for? Sports? Sure. Politics? Umm, yeah, perhaps a little too much. Sex? Partying? Work? Yes, yes, yes. God? Tell me when the last time you met someone who was passionate about God. Leave a comment, seriously. And I'm not talking about the guy on the street corner with a sign about the end being near. (Notice how I didn't call him crazy. So many times we tag that person with the 'crazy' moniker simply because of that one thing. Like we know any better about when the end of the world will be.) Gather round kiddies, let me tell you a story.

For most of my adolescent life, I was never really a fan of baseball. I played some as a kid, but never continued it and never followed professional baseball. I knew I was a Red Sox fan, but that was about it. Then I moved to an area just outside of Boston and lived there for nearly 4 years. My casual interest in baseball and the Red Sox in particular went from tepid to passionate, and it didn't take long. Everyone up there is a Red Sox fan. Any restaurant that you go to, upscale or bar & grill, will have the game on every TV in the place if the Sox are playing. 70% of the guys and ladies (yes, ladies too) have jerseys on as they dine, acquiescing to the fact that conversation will be, well, spars. It's contagious, you cannot escape the fervor of the fans. I moved there as a casual observer, and got swept up in it, leaving a semi-rabid follower.

Ever had a church do that to you? I bet not. Ever had a group of believers do that to you? I'll parlay my wager on that one. It is rare to find someone who is truly passionate, excited about God. And there is a difference between someone who is passionate for a selfish or outside reason, and someone who is just genuinely excited about something. That kind of excitement spreads. That kind of excitement and fervor takes over you and radiates throughout, it's unavoidable! You have to tell someone else about it because of what it's done for/to you. You have to experience more of it and take in all that you can. You want to know everything about it and you don't want to wait, you want to know it all now! Sound familiar? Kind of sounds like a new relationship to me. The unfortunate thing however, is that those feelings of exhilaration often display themselves in romantic relationships, and not in the relationship I've been talking about in the past couple blogs: The relationship between you and God.

Without the passion from it's members, and the dedication to their values and beliefs, the church is headed downhill, and fast. Without passion, it won't spread. Without credibility, it is seen as Pharisaical. When only one is missing, the church as a body can survive, though not prosperously. When both are missing, it cannot survive, period.

As an end note, it's been a tough blog to write. Many of these rebukes take on a personal flavor in my life as it is. I have displayed little zeal in regards to my Christian life, especially when compared to sports, philosophy, politics, etc. Not only that, but my willingness to commit the same sins over and over is frightening to me, and leaves me questioning a lot about my spiritual life and commitment. I'm only getting extremely personal because I don't want to give off the impression of a "righteous anger" as someone alluded to in a comment. I appreciate the comment, but righteous is not the word I would use to describe myself or the motivation behind this 3 part series. I hope that it has inspired thoughts and queries that you have decided to seek out answers to. I didn't expect the last post on this topic to end in the place it did, but I'm glad it has, and I'm glad you were with me.

"A cessation of greatness comes from the loss of character."

-- The D

7 Comments:

  • :) I think I prove your point... the fact that you mentioned the Sox made me smile and watching you become a rabid Sox fan, well, it's like watching your kids grow up (I imagine anyways).

    By Blogger Melissa, at 8:51 PM  

  • First of all, I have enjoyed your posts on the topic of religion. Most people never give any thought to their spiritual lives or they simply run from it. The very fact that you give thought to it and are concerned about it is a small victory in itself.

    When reading your last entry on religion, the verse came to mind from James that says, “Faith without works is dead.” On that note, I think the thing that turns people off about most organized religion is the hypocrisy. Like you say, most people only seem to be Christians on Sundays. Can I go out and get drunk on a Saturday night, show up for church on Sunday, and still be saved? Can I do this week after week? And, please, keep in mind as I write this that I’m not judging. These are simply observations.

    Religion these days tends to fall into two categories. You have the “Once saved, always saved” crowd and you have those who can see the problem with that way of thinking. Of the ones who see the problem with the “once saved” theory, most simply choose not to partake at all. But why? Because the alternative requires tremendous sacrifice.

    People always tell me when I go on the latest fad diet, “Diet’s never work, it has to be a lifestyle change.” True. And the same could be said spiritually. To truly follow Jesus is a commitment, a choice that has to be made before God. And, from that point on, it’s a full-time job with no days off. Will you fail? Sure. Will you fall? Sure. But as long as you get up one more time than you fall, you’ll be okay. God wants to see the effort, day after day. Then, and only then, can our sins be covered by the blood of Jesus.

    In the “once saved, always saved” camp, most tend to think that all they have to do to be saved it to “acknowledge” that Jesus lived and died for them and accept him as their savior, blah, blah. After that, maybe go to church on Sundays, especially on Easter and Christmas, and you’re all set. It’s all so very convenient and easy. It’s been made that way.

    But, not so fast. Jesus taught that we have to follow his example our entire lives if we are to have hope of salvation. In other words, it’s not a part-time gig. You either do it all the way or you don’t. To truly live it, though, requires sacrifice. And that’s why you may be having trouble finding those who are truly living as God intended. Because it does require sacrifice. It does require commitment. It does require work. And who wants to be bothered with all of that?

    But, believe it or not, there are those out there who not only profess to love God and his teachings but, also, live it.

    So, I guess, to sum it up, in my opinion it’s incorrect and presumptuous to ever say, “I’m saved.” There’s built-in excuses and free passes that come with that way of thinking. What we can be, if we’re truly living for God, is “hopeful.”

    As for passion.. I think you can find those who have a passion for God. I, personally, am a sports fan. I like to watch it, play it, etc. And, truth be told, I probably give a little more time to it than I should. But, there’s one thing that I take comfort in. One of the only things, in my adult life, that can bring me to tears is to get on my knees and pour my heart out to God. To me, that’s passion. All of the other stuff is okay in moderation but it CAN’T be what we live for.

    Anyway, I leave you with this thought. If you truly have a desire to be led by God and to meet those of like mind, stay on your knees and pray. There are those out there who have submitted fully to God’s will and there’s a great peace and joy that comes in doing so.

    Thanks.

    By Blogger G. Whiz, at 8:20 AM  

  • I love intelligent, well thought out and reasoned responses to posts that I put a lot of thought, time, and energy into. Thank you G. Whiz. I would of course love to know who you actually are, but your anonymity is your right. Thanks again.

    By Blogger The D, at 3:40 PM  

  • You toss out the manifesto then nada?

    What's up w/that?

    By Blogger Thatgirl7278, at 4:53 PM  

  • What manifesto? And if you have ideas for other topics, I'm more than welcome and open to them.

    The D

    By Blogger The D, at 1:20 AM  

  • What about a succinct essay on the subject of why you are feeling so jaded? --C

    By Blogger Meretricious Consideration, at 9:19 PM  

  • another post please :)

    By Blogger Patti, at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home