See The D

Sunday, July 24, 2005

My own writing, Part 1

I said that I wanted to post some of my own original writing in order to give you all a taste for how I write outside of this blog. Now, my main focus in writing right now is screenplays, with a dash of kid's books every so often. I obviously can't post an entire screenplay, that would be waaaaay too big, and the children's books probably would be as well. So, I will have to keep it to poems and songs and thoughts/musings. It still gives a decent reflection of my writing style and thoughts. Enjoy, and please, feel free to leave comments about what you think. I'm only mean to people who leave comments without a name/initial and are ignorant and other things. (See my last post's comments):

Untitled

I cannot think.
It is not true that I am unable to think at all,
but truth that I cannot contain concentration.
A blue velvety fog has spread across my mind,
a parasitic picnic blanket
trained to cover me up,
as thoughts scamper around the fields of imagination,
stopping to touch the thorns and sunlight
along the way.
Yet each thought that finds it's way to my hand,
confidently makes no sense at all,
like a bloated politician
with a quarter in each ear,
and a cloud in each eye.
If only my hand could lift me,
higher,
to sip on the nectar of heaven,
to tap into the secrets of the cosmos.
But no,
it is weighted down by my iron pen,
held down by the strings of words,
and sense.
I cannot
think.
I cannot create the world
in which little boys run
with feathers of delight in their hands,
as they chase the invisible winds
with merriment.
No,
my world is simply a blank canvas,
waiting for the next pint of inspiration,
to create my world,
painting by painting,
everyone a masterpiece in themselves,
but like a single cloud
in a tumultuous sky of thunder;
incomplete.


By the way, this will be one of only a handful of poems that don't rhyme. I hate writing poetry that doesn't rhyme. The reason it is spaced like that and certain phrases/words are on different lines is because when you read it, you're supposed to pause at the end of each line, so there actually is a method to the madness that is: unrhyming poetry. Also, in addition to the multitude of comments everyone will leave about their thoughts on this (clearing throat), feel free to leave requests about certain types of writing, and if I happen to have writing that fits your request, I will post it up. Take care now, bye bye then.

3 Comments:

  • Considering you're not partial to non-rhyming poetry I think you pulled it off very well. It played out almost like a story in my mind. I could visualize your words quite well =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

  • Oh dear Lord, you've linked me.
    (hides in the corner)
    Thanks for your comments. :-)

    By Blogger The D, at 11:44 AM  

  • I fear being a critic to your writing because I feel like a farmer giving his opinion on today's latest fashion. I'll say this, and unfortunately, it's quite general. You have a way with words. You use words that capture my imagination...which may or may not be a good thing for me:) Good job!

    By Blogger Matt, at 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home