See The D

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

More than 24

25 is more than 24. That's all I have. Ok, really.

24 is a great number. There are 24 hours in a day, there's a tv show that is called 24. There are 24 months in 2 years. Umm...it takes some people 24 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. Oh, and I'm 24. Whoopdie frickin doo. If that's all you knew about me, you would most likely assume certain things about me. 24 year old male. I can hear you thinking already. And that's the problem. If all you knew about me was that I am 24, you don't know me at all. You don't know that I don't party at all, that I don't smoke or do any drugs, I can use words that are 3 syllables or more, I actually think about my decisions before I make rash ones. I am Darrell. I am The D. Yes I am 24, but that is not some box in which I am placed and not allowed to venture out of. I'm probably going to get more and more annoyed as I write.
Being 24, certain things I do may seem a little out of the ordinary. They aren't necessarily bad, and usually aren't, but people will question me, my motives, my intentions and who I am simply because I don't fit into their convenient little mold. Screw your damn mold. From this day forth, The D is banning age. I will not tell anyone my age anymore because I'm tired of being looked at a certain way because of it. It's ageism!! If everyone but white people can have racism, then dammit I'm taking ageism. I'll be the politically correct JACKASS who pioneers the term. You heard it here first folks, Ageism. (November 16th) Don't tell me that it's odd for me to do something because I'm 24. That's ignorant, it's lazy. Take some time to get to know me and stop seeing me as a 24 year old and see me as Darrell. I hate that! I am more than 24. I am a person who has shedded his labelled age and gone my own path, regardless of my place on the board of life at spot 24. You can hang out there at your own age, but as for me and myself, I'm leaving to be me, leaving to be more. More than 24.

7 Comments:

  • You've got some serious issues, bro. Your a very insecure person, proving your age to truly define you. And labeled only has one l. I saw your site on Christian Mingle post

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 PM  

  • Darrel is an amazing man and has been since I knew him at a much younger age.

    I understand your frustration hun. How dare I being married and have 2 kids and not be at least close to 30!!! Maturity fits nowhere into people's way of categorizing others. They see the age number and figure they have that person nailed. God forbid life experience forces people to grow up a bit faster or that people justaren't the type to fit in the nice little stereotypes which have been laid out for us.

    Bring on the revolution !!!

    Ageism be gone !!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:55 AM  

  • WOW. It must be tough to grow up as an Upper Middle Class white guy and have to carry the burden of ageism.

    I tease.

    I wouldn't let it get you down my friend. It could be worse.

    By Blogger Thatgirl7278, at 3:08 PM  

  • Get over yourself and grow up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 PM  

  • Ahh ageism. It happens to us all. The young, the old, the in-between. I feel it too, but mostly in that people at work don't respect me because I'm young enough to be their kid. Maybe a good thing about being discriminated against is that maybe I'll think twice before I do it to someone else.

    I don't know you at all, but I like you're style. You made me think, and that's an accomplishment! =)
    ~Laura

    By Blogger laypalady, at 7:48 PM  

  • Wow, such hostility towards the D on this post. Easy people, I'm not insecure, just sick of having an age stamped on my personality and changing someone's view of me. And whoever gave me the wise advice to get over myself and grow up, it's just a bit of irony that you'd write that on a post about age. Way to go.

    By Blogger The D, at 9:54 PM  

  • "D" ageism, wow ,want to talk about old, young, in between, I am what people would call old, (in age ) that is for you have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up. I for one refuse to grow old and to grow up I will allways be me and the way I am. Like me I hope, hate me if you must, but before you do either of these two,"get to know me" and I feel the same as the "D" it seems that age is stamped on everybody.
    (IT'S A NUMBER AND ONLY A NUMBER)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home