See The D

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

True Truth

I have been thinking about this topic in conjunction with a movie I recently saw, "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". First, thoughts on the movie, then to the truth topic.

The movie was actually pretty well done, though a great deal of it took place in courtroom drama type scenes, rather than the actual exorcism and events leading up to it. Still, a well done movie with enough tense scenes and scary moments to earn a positive reaction from The D. Way to go. On another note, I went with two lovely ladies who happened to be a bit older than I. We were completely surrounded by kids in their teens, no one out of highschool, I can guarantee it. It was really loud at points (before the movie started), and they actually behaved themselves quite nicely once the film began; which was much to the surprise of The D. Watch out, I'm talking in third person now, hold on to your boot straps! However, one moron happened to sit in front of me and opened herself to ridicule by myself and the friend to my left. She walked in, looking very trendy, carrying a large bag on her right arm. Delightful, hopefully she had to pay for an extra seat for that damn huge bag just like fat people in airplanes. Bravo to the airline who did that by the way, Southwest I think. Moving on. I soon saw that it was not only a huge friggin bag in tow, but there was a delightfully fadish (it's a word now) dog inside the large bag, sticking it's small, shaking head out the front as the young girl walked down the aisle and sat down in front of me. With her fake nails nice and bright, she took the helpless pup out of the bag, and held it on her lap so everyone could see how disgustingly trendy she was. Her small dog sat on her lap, pink studded collar and all, as I wished upon the stars that it would pee on her during the movie. If only Jiminy Cricket were there...

What got me thinking about the topic of truth, was a few reactions after the movie from not only my two friends, but others who had seen it or had opinions on the topic of exorcism. One widely expressed view was that it didn't scare them because they didn't believe in that sort of thing. Interesting. I don't blame them for that view, nor do I criticize, I just find it interesting. And it made me think about what truth actually is, and the fact that some truth is truth, even if we don't believe it to be so. The reason that exorcism stuff scares me is because I believe it; I believe in all that spiritual warfare stuff, even if I can't prove a lick of it. But to someone who does not share my beliefs, spiritual warfare isn't a truth, it is simply a figment of one's beliefs or imagination, and does not affect them. The two cases, both views, are relative truths; relative to thoe one who holds their belief. But truth is truth, regardless of our belief, and if spiritual warfare exists, (I'm just using it in this particular example because that's what made me think of it), then it's there and affecting us whether we believe it or not.

To me, it makes me realize again how little I know compared to how much is out there, and how insignificant I can really be. It puts things into perspective, which is good. Just because I believe something, doesn't mean that it is true. It may be true to me, and sometimes that's the most important part, but it doesn't make it true truth. What exists, will exist. It is unaffected by my belief in it, or lack thereof, and that is humbling to think about. Unfortunately, or rather interestingly, many of these truths, such as spiritual warfare, certain religions, and other things will never be able to be factually proved, and so we as humans must choose in which truths to believe in; which to accept as our personal truth. There is one undoubtable truth though, and on this, you may not argue: The movie and the world would have been much better had that dog peed on that girl. That my firends, is the truth, and nothing but.

7 Comments:

  • see now, I find it hard to believe much in the reality of the Exorcism... Mostly because I have never met up with it in reality. Most of the time you know someone who knows someone who has been afflicted with or knows someone else who has been afflicted with a certain experience. Why is it that you never ever hear of anyone who know someone who has been to an exorcism, or has been freed of demons. Sometimes I have to wonder if those who are "posessed" are posessed mentally and not physically. Crazy is what I am saying. Or they just plain are mentally disturbed and therefore BELIEVE they are posessed and act accordingly. But like you say- we don't really know.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:14 PM  

  • Sounds like that "bright light" people see during a near death experience. I don't plan on ever tempting death if I can avoid it so I guess I'll never live to tell about the great flashlight in my eyes as I lay on the ground barely conscious.

    Otherwise..I saw it too...good flick whether you believe in it or not. Corpse Bride comes out friday...I wanna see that next =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 PM  

  • "D" just pee, man I thought of many things but as I said before.
    (Iam sicker than most)
    "The Speller"

    PS Glad your still writing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:02 PM  

  • "D" just pee, man I thought of many things but as I said before.
    (Iam sicker than most)
    "The Speller"

    PS Glad your still writing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:02 PM  

  • Hey D. Good stuff.

    Dazed: I bet it depends on your circle of friends as what kinds of things you hear about. I am not sure about modern day demon possession or exorcisms, but I would guess there are several things you have heard about afflicting people that you have not experienced firsthand, haven't had any friends experience, or even any friends of friends. I don't know of anyone (even a friend of a friend) who has been in a tornado, but I believe they exist.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:24 PM  

  • HEY..if they make a movie about something it MUST be real, right? lol =P~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:09 AM  

  • D, when you bein' back online? Next time be sure to use the phrase "Captain Fantastic waxes my mustache."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home